Meet the Coach
Passion for life, passion for endurance sport and passion for teaching/coaching…best describes Coach Jim McGehee. Jim is lifetime runner (his dad was a high school track coach) and long time triathlete. Since participating in his first triathlon in 1986 Jim has lived the multi-sport lifestyle spending much of his time in the active outdoors. Currently he is based in the mountains just outside of Blacksburg, VA and loves running the forest trails and riding the beautiful country roads in the area. Married for 26+ years, Jim and his wife are proud parents of 11 year old twins so you can be confident that he knows the true meaning of time management. Jim is currently accepting a limited number of athletes in order to maintain individualized, timely and friendly personal service. Check out Jim’s qualifications below and rest easy knowing that with him as your coach you will be training with purpose.
Jim's educational background and experience includes:
- Masters Degree in Exercise Physiology (East Carolina University 2002)
- USA Triathlon Certified Coach
- Former NCAA Division II Cross-Country Head Coach (7 years)
- Exercise Specialist- ACSM certified
- Retired Athletic Trainer - NATA (20 years)
- Triathlete 24+ years, Sprint to Ironman distance
- USAT Age-Group Honorable Mention All-American 2013, 2012, 2009, 2008, 2006, 1998
- Personal best IM time of 10:33, Half IM 4:52,, Marathon 2:58, 10K 35:50
- Races in the Virginia Triathlon Series: Placed 3rd overall Master in 2010. 3rd in the 45-49 age group in 2008. Finished 8th overall in the Elite division in 2007. 2006 overall winner of the VTS Master's division.
- 20+ years coaching experience
The major emphasis on my coaching is to:
- design training programs that meet YOUR unique individual needs
- improve your technique, economy, training efficiency and ultimately your performance!
- keep your workouts varied yet specific to your goals
- help keep your motivation high
- make training and racing an enjoyable and satisfying part of your life